- We offer a 70/30 box office split in the Visiting Company’s favour, net of a£100 per performance guarantee to The Oval Bandstand & Lawns (‘The Oval”.
- The guarantee is subject to increasing with additional contra charges if applicable.
- If the guarantee is not met through ticket sales, The Oval will invoice the Visiting Company for the difference.
- Reconciliation is due within 28 days of receipt of an invoice from the Visiting Company.
- There is a cancellation charge of £250 per performance.
- Inclement weather is not an appropriate reason for cancellation. Shows go ahead in any and all weather. The only exception is if there’s a legitimate risk to the health and safety of the cast and audience.
- The Oval will manage all food and drink offerings on site.
- The Oval is situated in Cliftonville, Margate. Our summer season runs from April to September annually. The Oval was reopened by GRASS Cliftonville CIC as an events venue in 2019.
- The Oval’s licensed capacity is 499. Seating is tiered and in a partial in-the-round amphitheatre layout.
- There is a site office which serves as a green room for Visiting Companies. It has toilets nearby and basic kitchen facilities.
- The bandstand stage is 8m deep and 8m wide. The stage floor is paved concrete and the bandstand structure is metal. There are hooks atop the bandstand structure to hang scenery from. It is not possible to drill or fix into the stage or bandstand structure.
- As The Oval is situated in the centre of 4 acres of public amenity space, there can be substantial ambient noise.
- The Oval is completely exposed to the elements on stage and in the auditorium. Visiting Companies should prepare for any and all weather conditions.
- Visiting Companies should consider sunset times when preparing their production.
- The Oval will provide all front of house staff and a Venue Manager.
- The Oval has two large lights which offer coverage of the whole stage. We recommend using these for evening performances, even to add a small amount of coverage as the sun sets. You may also bring your own lights.
- The Oval has a small PA system and powered speakers. Productions relying heavily on sound should bring their own PAT-tested and weather-proof equipment.
- There are power sockets available at the rear of the stage.
- The Oval has several gazebos which can be used to protect electrical equipment or as a backstage changing area.
- The Oval does not have an in-house technician. All Visiting Companies must provide their own technician and/or stage manager.
- Ticket prices will be determined according to whether the show is one act or two. One-act shows will be priced as: £12 Standard, £10 Concession, £35 Family of 4. Two-act shows will be priced as: £15 Standard, £12.50 Concession, £45 Family of 4. We only offer the family ticket for suitable shows.
- All tickets are sold through The Oval (we use Eventbrite as their chosen ticketing platform).
- Tickets are sold via The Oval’s Eventbrite website, or at the box office in advance or on the day of the performance. Booking fees apply.
- The Visiting Company is entitled to 10 complimentary tickets per performance.
- A Box Office Return will be issued to the Visiting Company, including a detailed breakdown of sales, within 14 days of the show’s final performance.
- Visiting Companies can be provided with an Eventbrite log-in to track sales.
- All productions are guaranteed inclusion on The Oval’s website.
- All images and copy supplied must meet The Oval’s criteria and standards.
- The Oval encourages Visiting Companies to send printed material for display and distribution. These include posters, flyers and vinyl banners.
- All printed material must include The Oval’s logo and website. Proofs must be emailed ahead for approval before going to print.
- The Oval will endeavour to promote every production on its social media accounts and mailing list, with coverage increasing as performance dates grow closer.
- Access times will be agreed in the contract. Standard times are 10am for a matinee and 2pm for an evening show. Vehicular access is possible and parking is available.
- Standard theatre performance times are 11am, 2pm and 7pm Friday – Saturday and 11am and 2pm on Sunday.
- Gates open 1 hour before performances start.
- Performances must finish by 10pm, and the premises must be vacated by 11pm Friday – Saturday and 6pm on Sundays.
- Access for rehearsals can be booked at an additional cost, subject to availability.
- Visiting Companies must provide Public and Employers Liability Insurance documentation and a completed venue Risk Assessment.
- Visiting Companies must inform The Oval if a PRS licence is required.
- Visiting Companies must provide proof of performing rights if applicable.
- Visiting Companies must provide Child Protection Policy documentation if applicable.
- Visiting Companies must provide a completed Effects Plan if applicable.
- Visiting Companies will be required to complete a health and safety induction on arrival.
DISCLAIMER: This is not a legally binding document, and is designed simply as an introductory guide to bringing a production to The Oval. If The Oval agrees to programme your production, an official contract will be issued with full and thorough details. Please read your official contract and accompanying appendices thoroughly before signing. Details in official contracts may differ from details in this document. This document is intended for productions submitting for performance in 2022, and is subject to change.